Curated calendar with indie game events, conferences and play festivals worldwide.
- This event has passed.
Different Perspectives: Art Games Festival
January 21 - January 23
Different Perspectives: Art Games Festival is a triptych of activities, each of which plays a unique role in supporting and helping to grow games as an art form.
- The exhibition Relive/Herleef showcases autobiographical video games. (20 – 23 January 2022 & 27 – 30 January 2022)
- The Networking Day brings creators together to meet, exchange experience and collaborate. (21 January 2022)
- During Global Game Jam Antwerp, creatives team up to make games in 48 hours time. (28-30 January 2022)
As a whole, these activities highlight and celebrate the cultural value of video games during this two week festival in Het Bos.
Not a gamer? Not a game developer? Not a problem! In the exhibition Relive/Herleef we welcome everyone with an open mind and cultural interest. We make sure anyone can discover the artistic potential of the 21st century’s most revolutionary medium.
The festival takes place over two weekends in Antwerp, Belgium.
An exhibition of autobiographical video games.
Each work tells a different story, and different stories often need different ways of arousing empathy: different forms of experiencing, or in this case…. Reliving.
Relive / Herleef presents games that give new insights into what games can be, both in terms of content and form.
It showcases topics such as mental health issues, war experiences, loss of loved ones, body image and eating disorders. But also positive experiences such as the value of peace, family and LGBTQ+ love are highlighted.
Some games are made by teams over the course of several years, and were published globally. Some are made by one person in several days, as a form of personal expression. But they all share heartfelt personal experiences, each in their own way.
- Brukel – Bob De Schutter and Bie Verlinden
- Consume me – Jenny Jiao Hsia, AP Thomson
- That Dragon, Cancer – Amy and Ryan Green
- Coming out simulator – Nicky Case
- Lieve Oma – Florian Veltman
- plum road tea dream (research) – Samuel Baidoo
- BRR – Vaida Plankytė
- Compass – Linsey Raymaekers
- The Book Ritual – Alistair Aitcheson
- The Beginner’s Guide – Davey Wreden
21 January 10:00 – 17:00
The Different Perspectives Networking Day stimulates cross-fertilisation between different sectors and is a meeting place for individuals and studios with professional experience in making and developing video games, with a passion for society, culture and/or art on the one hand and local professional artists, in the broad sense of the term, independent of discipline, who want to embrace the interactivity of game technology in order to reshape the social themes and stories that drive them.
On this networking day, we present 3 international speakers with relevant experience in the overlapping field of culture, arts, games and an info session on relevant support initiatives.
There will also be a speed-pitch round, a networking lunch, and participants will have access to the Relive exhibition.
Talks & Panels:
- Political Games with a Decolonial Perspective – Isabelle Arvers
- VAF Panel: Artistic games in Flanders with Hannes Devillé, Thomas Devillé (Devillé Arcade), Christopher Morrison (The Werewolf Experience), Jeroen Janssens (Happy Volcano), Frank and Robbert (Robbert&Frank). Moderated by Christophe De bont (Journalist and Comission member VAF/Gamefonds)
- Building New Roads: Finding a New Home for Interactive Art – Talk by Niki Smit
- Video Games in the Key of Clown – Talk by Alistair Aitcheson